This 13th-century Romanesque monument is the only evidence that remains of an old Augustinian monastery founded in the second half of the 11th century. In 1578, with the primitive community by then extinct, it was acquired by the order of Sant Domènec, hence its present name.
The capitals and columns belong to the cloister of the primitive Romanesque monastery, but the building dates back to the 16th century. The decorated capitals are rich and diverse in subject matter, combining plant and geometric motifs with zoological figures; 5 narratives particularly stand out: that of Adam and Eve, the Atlanteans, the hunt, the banquet and the cardinal sins.
In 1835, as a result of the seizure and sale of land, the cloister passed into the hands of the Town Council, and since then it has had many functions: hospital, court, barracks and even a cinema. The building that surrounded the cloister, a great bastion rebuilt in the 18th century, was demolished in the 1960s. Today it is Peralada’s most important architectural attraction open to the public. In 2001, following the purchase of a plot of land next to the cloister, the Town Council created the town’s cultural tourism centre.
You can now consult part of the collection of the Vila de Peralada Museum online. Enter the website #MuseuObert
Cultural Tourism Pl. de la Peixateria, 6 17491 Peralada Phone: (+34) 972 53 88 40 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.visitperalada.cat