Portal del Comte


This gate corresponds to the second walled area, built in the last decade of the 13th century, after the fire of 1285 that almost totally destroyed the town. In this second wall, the Portal del Comte was the main entrance to Peralada and led to Castelló d’Empúries. Here there was a corps of guards who controlled access to the town and charged tolls for entering goods.

Conserved from this second walled area is a round tower, currently located within the grounds of the Convent del Carme.